Old May 27th 16, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default GOBLIN 172s: where do they go during their hols?

As I'm sure most people know, the GOBLIN line is soon to be electrified,
and there will be partial and complete closures starting from tomorrow. It
will be completely closed from 24 Sep to Feb 2017. It will then reopen,
presumably still using the current DMUs, until the electrification is
complete a few months later, and the new 4-car Aventras arrive in early
2018.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.co...lectrification

The line has eight 2-car 172s that are modern and in good condition, so
they're in no need of renovation. I wonder if they'll just go into storage
during the complete closure, or will they be loaned to any other operator
that needs extra capacity, even if only for a few months?

And once they've been replaced by the new Aventras, has their future home
been decided?

For anyone who's interested, here's a few pics I took on the line earlier
this week:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57668732378626

Old May 27th 16, 06:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 2016\05\27 15:58, Recliner wrote:
As I'm sure most people know, the GOBLIN line is soon to be electrified,
and there will be partial and complete closures starting from tomorrow.

No, another week yet.

Old May 27th 16, 07:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\05\27 15:58, Recliner wrote:
As I'm sure most people know, the GOBLIN line is soon to be electrified,
and there will be partial and complete closures starting from tomorrow.

No, another week yet.

No, it's closed for the whole three-day Bank holiday weekend starting
tomorrow, as part of the project.

It then reopens briefly before closing again for the following weekend,
after which it only partly reopens till September, after which it closes
fully for for 4-5 months. Even then, there's another few months of work
before the wires are up and ready.

Old May 27th 16, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 27 May 2016 14:58:37 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

[...]

Chiltern would be the "obvious choice", the LOROL units were ordered
by Adrian Shooter & have a similar specification to the Chiltern 172's

DC.

---

Old May 27th 16, 11:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I was wondering whose decision it is?

Old May 28th 16, 12:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Is there any hint of Chiltern needing some extra stock anywhere ?
Depending on how the work is arranged, there could be scope for 172s
substituting for the buses if suitable sections of GOBLIN were
complete save for switching on the juice.
Old May 28th 16, 12:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

That's the situation when the line reopens in February. The work won't be
finished and the lines energised for at least another four months, during
which time I assume the 172s will provide the service. They won't be
available to anyone else till the Aventras enter service in 2018. So the
DMUs will be running under the wires for at least six months.

Old May 28th 16, 01:16 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

That doesn't seem to leave long enough for any useful hiring out in
the direction of Chiltern unless e.g. there's something big at Wembley
or somewhere else (Stratford ?) they could be used for. If there is
coincidence with work somewhere else then they would at least be
available for e.g. diversions over alternative non-electrified routes.
Old May 28th 16, 05:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

[...]

I suppose one possibility is if Chiltern needs to overhaul any of its 2-car
Turbos, it could borrow one or more of the 172s as cover over the next six
months while LO needs fewer, or none, of its fleet.

Old May 28th 16, 01:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

That doesn't seem to leave long enough for any useful hiring out in
the direction of Chiltern unless e.g. there's something big at Wembley
or somewhere else (Stratford ?) they could be used for. If there is
coincidence with work somewhere else then they would at least be
available for e.g. diversions over alternative non-electrified routes.

Greater Anglia seem to be sporadically short of DMUs, dragging out the LHCS
occasionally when they get desperate. I don't know if that's close enough
that they can still live at Willesden for maintenance.

However GA don't like paying for stock - claiming they didn't need the 317s
required by the previous operator on their patch. So unless they're going
really cheap...

Theo