Old August 17th 16, 07:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How crashy is a crash?

I heard on the BBC at 8am that the QEII bridge was closed owing to a crash that happened at 2am. There is no mention of when it might reopen. I suppose that if the crash is very serious then it might be closed permanently.

I wonder what the crash was like? If it has taken a mnimum of six hours to clear up then I'm imagining something like Transformers: Age of Extinction sellotaped to Final Destination 5.

Old August 17th 16, 08:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
00:17:35 on Wed, 17 Aug 2016, Offramp remarked:
I heard on the BBC at 8am that the QEII bridge was closed owing to a
crash that happened at 2am. There is no mention of when it might
reopen. I suppose that if the crash is very serious then it might be
closed permanently.

I wonder what the crash was like? If it has taken a mnimum of six hours
to clear up then I'm imagining something like Transformers: Age of
Extinction sellotaped to Final Destination 5.

I know we complain when it takes the railways half a day to clear up
after a fairly minor bash, but QE2 bridge is trumping that.

One car crashed into the central barrier, and they are having to replace
27m of it. Apparently this requires them to close all eight lanes
indefinitely!
Old August 17th 16, 08:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-08-17 07:17:35 +0000, Offramp said:

I heard on the BBC at 8am that the QEII bridge was closed owing to a
crash that happened at 2am. There is no mention of when it might
reopen. I suppose that if the crash is very serious then it might be
closed permanently.

I wonder what the crash was like? If it has taken a mnimum of six hours
to clear up then I'm imagining something like Transformers: Age of
Extinction sellotaped to Final Destination 5.

Or a damaged parapet, which must be repaired before reopening in case a
further crash would cause a vehicle to leave the bridge?

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old August 17th 16, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17/08/2016 09:43, Roland Perry wrote:

One car crashed into the central barrier, and they are having to replace
27m of it. Apparently this requires them to close all eight lanes
indefinitely!

Plus an expansion joint has been damaged which I suspect is more the
reason for having to close the lot.
Old August 17th 16, 09:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:47:11 on Wed, 17
Aug 2016, Neil Williams remarked:

Or a damaged parapet, which must be repaired before reopening in case a
further crash would cause a vehicle to leave the bridge?

Close the lane next to it, and impose a 30mph speed limit. That should
be sufficient.

Old August 17th 16, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
00:17:35 on Wed, 17 Aug 2016, Offramp remarked:
I heard on the BBC at 8am that the QEII bridge was closed owing to a
crash that happened at 2am. There is no mention of when it might
reopen. I suppose that if the crash is very serious then it might be
closed permanently.

I wonder what the crash was like? If it has taken a mnimum of six hours
to clear up then I'm imagining something like Transformers: Age of
Extinction sellotaped to Final Destination 5.

I know we complain when it takes the railways half a day to clear up
after a fairly minor bash, but QE2 bridge is trumping that.

One car crashed into the central barrier, and they are having to replace
27m of it. Apparently this requires them to close all eight lanes
indefinitely!

What central barrier? And where did the extra four lanes come from? It's
a one-way, four lane bridge.

Old August 17th 16, 09:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
-septe
mber.org, at 09:13:10 on Wed, 17 Aug 2016, Recliner
remarked:
I heard on the BBC at 8am that the QEII bridge was closed owing to a
crash that happened at 2am. There is no mention of when it might
reopen. I suppose that if the crash is very serious then it might be
closed permanently.

I wonder what the crash was like? If it has taken a mnimum of six hours
to clear up then I'm imagining something like Transformers: Age of
Extinction sellotaped to Final Destination 5.

I know we complain when it takes the railways half a day to clear up
after a fairly minor bash, but QE2 bridge is trumping that.

One car crashed into the central barrier, and they are having to replace
27m of it. Apparently this requires them to close all eight lanes
indefinitely!

What central barrier?

That's what the news reports call it.

And where did the extra four lanes come from? It's a one-way, four
lane bridge.

Brain fart due to mention of central barrier.
Old August 17th 16, 06:21 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offramp View Post
I heard on the BBC at 8am that the QEII bridge was closed owing to a crash that happened at 2am. There is no mention of when it might reopen. I suppose that if the crash is very serious then it might be closed permanently.

I wonder what the crash was like? If it has taken a mnimum of six hours to clear up then I'm imagining something like Transformers: Age of Extinction sellotaped to Final Destination 5.
I got caught up in the consequences of this as I visited a
friend in Westcliff-On-Sea. The A13 eastbound at about 10.30
was queuing for miles approaching the M25 and westbound was
even worse. I came back via the A127 as the news reports at
midday said one lane had been opened and the queue for the
bridge stretched back to the A127.