Old August 29th 16, 02:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default London Bridge new station concourse open

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 06:01:37 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Hearn
wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...bridge-station

It doesn't say how many milliWales it is

I went along to take a look this morning. Here's some of my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673127347595

Old August 29th 16, 04:32 PM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recliner[_3_] View Post
wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...bridge-station

It doesn't say how many milliWales it is

I went along to take a look this morning. Here's some of my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673127347595
Many thanks. It looks huge! As I've now retired and have more
spare time, I'll go myself during the week.
Old August 29th 16, 11:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...bridge-station

It doesn't say how many milliWales it is

I went along to take a look this morning. Here's some of my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673127347595

Thanks. It looks nice, but the lift shafts seem out of place. Why do
lifts need enclosed shafts anyway? You'd think they would only need two
L-profile poles at opposite corners, if they needed anything at all.
Old August 30th 16, 12:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 06:01:37 -0700 (PDT), Patrick Hearn
wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-sized-concour
se-to-partially-open-at-london-bridge-station

It doesn't say how many milliWales it is

I went along to take a look this morning. Here's some of my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673127347595

How did you avoid the obnoxious security man Paul Corfield told us on
Twitter he ran into?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old August 30th 16, 12:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-sized-concour
se-to-partially-open-at-london-bridge-station

It doesn't say how many milliWales it is

I went along to take a look this morning. Here's some of my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673127347595

How did you avoid the obnoxious security man Paul Corfield told us on
Twitter he ran into?

I didn't see any jobsworths, and no-one was being stopped from taking pics.
All was relaxed and friendly. I just tried to avoid the ubiquitous 'can I
help you' blue-vested people.

Old August 30th 16, 07:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 00:12:00 on Tue, 30 Aug 2016,
Basil Jet remarked:
I went along to take a look this morning. Here's some of my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673127347595

Thanks. It looks nice, but the lift shafts seem out of place.

They are similar to the ones at St Pancras, and before that on The Lawn
at Paddington.
Old August 30th 16, 05:43 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...bridge-station

It doesn't say how many milliWales it is

I went along to take a look this morning. Here's some of my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673127347595

Thanks for sharing.

Quite so, Nigel takes a nice photograph.

I had a look on a staff preview a week or so ago and I agree that it has a serious "wow" factor.

Overall the new station looks excellent. The font on the fixed signs
is not great. Gill Sans would have been markedly better.

Old August 30th 16, 05:46 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...bridge-station

It doesn't say how many milliWales it is

I went along to take a look this morning. Here's some of my pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673127347595

Thanks for sharing. I had a look on a staff preview a week or so ago and I agree that it has a serious "wow" factor.

A last view of the old Cannon Street side, taken last Thursday:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...posted-public/

And a reminder of earlier times!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/605390...7633219858449/

Thank you, Good to see the evolution of the station.
Old August 30th 16, 05:48 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 23:41:16 +0100, Neil Williams

On 2016-08-29 18:35:01 +0000, said:

Thanks for sharing. I had a look on a staff preview a week or so ago
and I agree that it has a serious "wow" factor.

All that wood reminds me of Bern Hbf. The PIS positioning looks very
well thought through, too.

Neil

The finish looks beautiful, such an improvement on British Rail's
1970s attempt at modernizing the station.
Old August 30th 16, 11:03 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

e27002 aurora wrote on 30 Aug 2016 at 18:43 ...
Overall the new station looks excellent. The font on the fixed signs
is not great. Gill Sans would have been markedly better.

The font is presumably NR Brunel, Network Rail's current standard for
signage. The only full character set that I've found is buried in the NR
document "Managed Stations Wayfinding" on page 10 (numbered as page 20
in my downloaded PDF file). It can be downloaded from
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...Guidelines.pdf

It's difficult to comment on the signage based on Recliner's photos, but
I would doubt if Gill Sans would be "markedly better". What don't you
like about the NR Brunel font?

--
Richard J.

---