Old September 15th 16, 07:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default 55 Broadway

bob wrote:
Recliner wrote:
wrote:
On 15.09.16 13:27, Recliner wrote:
LU has occupied this Grade 1 listed building designed by Charles
Holden, since commissioning it in the 1920s, but will soon be moving
out. The old building above St James's Park station is no longer
suitable for a head office, and will be converted into housing (mainly
posh flats, but some affordable) plus some offices and retail. When
opened in 1929, it was London's tallest office block, and was heavily
influenced by US skyscrapers of the era.

I managed to go on a tour earlier this week, before it departs:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57673901178545

Where are TfL going, in that case?

You can see the new TfL HQ going up in The International Quarter,
Stratford. It's one of the big new office blocks between Westfield and the
aquatics cent
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/trans...k-9373688.html

I am always a bit suspicious of phrases like "no longer suitable" in this
kind of context. Seems to me like moving the offices to a cheaper location
so the prime real estate can be sold for lots of money is a big driver
here.

Yes, that's certainly the case, but not being able to change anything in a
grade 1 listed building with a leaky roof is probably a major factor, too.
TfL long outgrew the building, and has multiple other London offices.

Old September 15th 16, 07:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 15/09/2016 20:18, Recliner wrote:

bob wrote:

I am always a bit suspicious of phrases like "no longer suitable" in this
kind of context. Seems to me like moving the offices to a cheaper location
so the prime real estate can be sold for lots of money is a big driver
here.

Yes, that's certainly the case, but not being able to change anything in a
grade 1 listed building with a leaky roof is probably a major factor, too.
TfL long outgrew the building, and has multiple other London offices.

I don't think TfL or LT beforehand ever housed all its head offices at
55 Broadway. Windsor House on Victoria Street is in effect TfL HQ.

At present, I think TfL's other major offices are at the Palestra
building on Blackfriars Rd (opposite Southwark Tube) and Pier Walk on
the Greenwich Peninsula (next to the Dome).

What was the PCO, now TPH, moved from its well known address on Penton
St to the Palestra a few years back.

LU also have an office at Westferry Circus at Canary Wharf, inherited
from the Tube Lines infraco that TfL bought out. Apparently this Terry
Farrell building was a potential home for the new GLA, though obviously
that never happened and instead City Hall found its home in the glass
testicle on the south side of Tower Bridge.
Old September 15th 16, 08:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

bob wrote:

I am always a bit suspicious of phrases like "no longer suitable" in this
kind of context. Seems to me like moving the offices to a cheaper location
so the prime real estate can be sold for lots of money is a big driver
here.

Yes, that's certainly the case, but not being able to change anything in a
grade 1 listed building with a leaky roof is probably a major factor, too.
TfL long outgrew the building, and has multiple other London offices.

I don't think TfL or LT beforehand ever housed all its head offices at
55 Broadway. Windsor House on Victoria Street is in effect TfL HQ.

Yes, I photographed Windsor House from 55 Broadway.

At present, I think TfL's other major offices are at the Palestra
building on Blackfriars Rd (opposite Southwark Tube) and Pier Walk on
the Greenwich Peninsula (next to the Dome).

What was the PCO, now TPH, moved from its well known address on Penton
St to the Palestra a few years back.

LU also have an office at Westferry Circus at Canary Wharf, inherited
from the Tube Lines infraco that TfL bought out. Apparently this Terry
Farrell building was a potential home for the new GLA, though obviously
that never happened and instead City Hall found its home in the glass
testicle on the south side of Tower Bridge.

Do you know if staff from some of those other TfL offices will also be
moving to Stratford? I assume some must be.

Old September 15th 16, 08:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

bob wrote:

I am always a bit suspicious of phrases like "no longer suitable" in this
kind of context. Seems to me like moving the offices to a cheaper location
so the prime real estate can be sold for lots of money is a big driver
here.

Yes, that's certainly the case, but not being able to change anything in a
grade 1 listed building with a leaky roof is probably a major factor, too.
TfL long outgrew the building, and has multiple other London offices.

I don't think TfL or LT beforehand ever housed all its head offices at
55 Broadway. Windsor House on Victoria Street is in effect TfL HQ.

Yes, I photographed Windsor House from 55 Broadway.

Aha, I haven't yet enjoyed looking at the photos.

At present, I think TfL's other major offices are at the Palestra
building on Blackfriars Rd (opposite Southwark Tube) and Pier Walk on
the Greenwich Peninsula (next to the Dome).

What was the PCO, now TPH, moved from its well known address on Penton
St to the Palestra a few years back.

LU also have an office at Westferry Circus at Canary Wharf, inherited
from the Tube Lines infraco that TfL bought out. Apparently this Terry
Farrell building was a potential home for the new GLA, though obviously
that never happened and instead City Hall found its home in the glass
testicle on the south side of Tower Bridge.

Do you know if staff from some of those other TfL offices will also be
moving to Stratford? I assume some must be.

I don't know. At a complete guess, I could imagine that the Greenwich
Peninsula staff might move to Stratford, but I'm only saying that
because Palestra seems part of the TfL fabric now.

Just looked it up... TfL have a 20 year lease on Pier Walk, but of
course that could be renegotiated or sub-leased.

TfL were going to have offices in the Shard - a deal was made in 2006
(so pre crash), but the owner's bought TfL's lease out in 2010:
http://www.standard.co.uk/business/-6480250.html