Old November 14th 16, 11:41 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London
Default Freedom Pass Map Anomaly.

I've just noticed an interesting anomaly on the Freedom
Pass Map which can be viewed on or downloaded from the
Internet.

On each route the last station within the Freedom Pass area is
shown with a grey line projecting onwards; the grey line being
a route where free travel is never available. Understandably,
no stations are designated on the grey lines.

There is a single, misleading exception: Cheshunt. The Freedom
Pass area ends at Enfield Lock and Turkey Street, and on TfL's
map the grey lines start from there. But Cheshunt is shown on
the map and, to those not perusing cautiously, this suggests
that Cheshunt is in the Area. I nearly got caught out this morning.

Why has TfL made this single exception?

Old November 14th 16, 06:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/11/2016 12:41, Robin9 wrote:
I've just noticed an interesting anomaly on the Freedom
Pass Map which can be viewed on or downloaded from the
Internet.

On each route the last station within the Freedom Pass area is
shown with a grey line projecting onwards; the grey line being
a route where free travel is never available. Understandably,
no stations are designated on the grey lines.

There is a single, misleading exception: Cheshunt. The Freedom
Pass area ends at Enfield Lock and Turkey Street, and on TfL's
map the grey lines start from there. But Cheshunt is shown on
the map and, to those not perusing cautiously, this suggests
that Cheshunt is in the Area. I nearly got caught out this morning.

Why has TfL made this single exception?

AIUI Cheshunt is not really in the Freedom Pass area. The Freedom Pass
is valid for travel to Cheshunt only on TfL's services. Hence the grey
line starts at Enfield Lock.

And on the map I have the grey line does extend a bit beyond Cheshunt.

--
Robin
Old November 14th 16, 06:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin wrote:

[...]

The thing to note is that there are three different criteria which could
apply and if it meets one of these for then it Freedom Pass can be used
1) Is the station in London (except if using HS1)
2) Is the rail run by Tfl
3) Has there been a special case added. (E.g. Dartford and some Surrey
stations)

So Cheshunt is only reachable by Freedom Pass on Tfl Rail - ie Crossrail
2

Given type 2 Cheshunt is not the only station that not all NR trains
work on see Watford Junction and Shenfield. The reason it looks odd is
that there are two lines to Cheshunt from London and Freedom Pass is
only available on one, and the only other other stations like that I can
see are on HS1

--
Mark
Old November 14th 16, 07:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/11/2016 19:41, Mark Bestley wrote:
Robin wrote:

[...]

Thanks. (But ITYM London Overground to Cheshunt.)

--
Robin
Old November 14th 16, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\11\14 19:41, Mark Bestley wrote:

So Cheshunt is only reachable by Freedom Pass on Tfl Rail - ie Crossrail
2

Crossrail 2 will use the line (or a quadrupling thereof) through
Tottenham Hale, not the London Overground route through Seven Sisters.

Old November 27th 16, 09:13 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

I was in Cheshunt on Friday and I decided to test whether
my Freedom Pass would open the gates. It didn't. A station
attendant saw that I had a Freedom Pass and opened the
gates for me, saying "Platform three, my love," the platform
used only by LO trains via Seven Sisters and Edmonton Green.

In other words, you gentlemen are correct. The Freedom Pass
is valid as far as Cheshunt only if one travels on the LO service.