Old December 2nd 16, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus Goes up in flames

Happened in Kingston this morning. I saw it shortly after they put the fire out, the back of the bus was pretty much melted and the whole area stank of burning plastic. It was a 371 from Richmond way, only the driver on board luckily. He was reated for smoke inhalation.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/loca...ondon-12262350

Neill

Old December 2nd 16, 03:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 07:48:08 -0800 (PST)
wrote:
Happened in Kingston this morning. I saw it shortly after they put the fire=
out, the back of the bus was pretty much melted and the whole area stank o=
f burning plastic. It was a 371 from Richmond way, only the driver on board=
luckily. He was reated for smoke inhalation.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/loca...ee-london-122=
62350

Thats worryingly flammable.

--
Spud

Old December 2nd 16, 04:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Happened in Kingston this morning. I saw it shortly after they put the fire=
out, the back of the bus was pretty much melted and the whole area stank o=
f burning plastic. It was a 371 from Richmond way, only the driver on board=
luckily. He was reated for smoke inhalation.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/loca...ee-london-122=
62350

Thats worryingly flammable.

ISTM pretty normal for a commercial vehicle which carries a load of diesel.

And it's not all that rare for buses to burn. Eg

26/11 in Motherwell
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-38119498

17/11 in Gloucester
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bus-fire-piccadilly-station-manchester-12217673

My impression is that they and the similar lorry fires don't get that
much coverage because in the vast majority of cases no one is seriously
injured.

--
Robin
Old December 2nd 16, 09:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Going back past earlier, it looks like it stopped over a drain and the Fire Brigade managed to wash large amount of diesel into the Thames, which is a few metres away. Thames Waters were there, along with large amounts of sand spread over the road.

Neill

Old December 3rd 16, 08:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
07:48:08 on Fri, 2 Dec 2016, remarked:
Happened in Kingston this morning. I saw it shortly after they put the fire out, the back of the bus was pretty much melted and the whole area
stank of burning plastic. It was a 371 from Richmond way, only the driver on board luckily. He was reated for smoke inhalation.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/loca...ondon-12262350

Shoddy journalism, it doesn't show the bus bursting into flames, rather
than some time after it was well alight.

Old December 3rd 16, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at
17:52:09 on Fri, 2 Dec 2016, Robin remarked:

ISTM pretty normal for a commercial vehicle which carries a load of diesel.

And it's not all that rare for buses to burn. Eg

26/11 in Motherwell http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-
west-38119498

17/11 in Gloucester http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greate
r-manchester-news/bus-fire-piccadilly-station-manchester-12217673

My impression is that they and the similar lorry fires don't get that
much coverage because in the vast majority of cases no one is seriously
injured.

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

http://www.essexlive.news/m11-closed...airport/story-
29260090-detail/story.html
Old December 4th 16, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-12-03 10:02:36 +0000, Roland Perry said:

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

I wonder what effect electric vehicles will have on the numbers
killed/injured or road disruption caused by vehicle fires, given that
fires in EMUs are very rare (notwithstanding that one, the only one I
ever heard of, occurred very recently). If you don't have a tank of
highly volatile fuel there to burn, the chance of fire is much lower.

Neil
--
Neil Williams

Old December 4th 16, 04:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-12-03 10:02:36 +0000, Roland Perry said:

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

I wonder what effect electric vehicles will have on the numbers
killed/injured or road disruption caused by vehicle fires, given that
fires in EMUs are very rare (notwithstanding that one, the only one I
ever heard of, occurred very recently).

Which incident was that?
Old December 4th 16, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016-12-03 10:02:36 +0000, Roland Perry said:

This truck I really did see bursting into flames - I was driving on the
opposite carriageway at the moment the black smoke turned to flames:

I wonder what effect electric vehicles will have on the numbers
killed/injured or road disruption caused by vehicle fires, given that
fires in EMUs are very rare (notwithstanding that one, the only one I
ever heard of, occurred very recently). If you don't have a tank of
highly volatile fuel there to burn, the chance of fire is much lower.

What about hydrogen buses, such as the RV1? Hopefully there are very
strong precautions against the fuel catching fire or exploding even in
the case of a serious collision etc.