Old December 3rd 16, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Free ferry at Tower Bridge

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar...service-114474

Old December 3rd 16, 03:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 03/12/2016 01:13, Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar...service-114474

Very cool, but I don't think that this will qualify as the world's
shortest ferry journey.

I believe that honour remains in Toronto.

Having said that, I have also seen a very small ferry on the Weser in
Bremen.
Old December 3rd 16, 06:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\12\03 04:49, wrote:
On 03/12/2016 01:13, Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar...service-114474

Very cool, but I don't think that this will qualify as the world's
shortest ferry journey.

I believe that honour remains in Toronto.

So the internet claims, but the chain ferry at Reedham (Norfolk) is
clearly shorter.

Old December 3rd 16, 06:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2016\12\03 07:07, Basil Jet wrote:
On 2016\12\03 04:49, wrote:
On 03/12/2016 01:13, Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar...service-114474

Very cool, but I don't think that this will qualify as the world's
shortest ferry journey.

I believe that honour remains in Toronto.

So the internet claims, but the chain ferry at Reedham (Norfolk) is
clearly shorter.

I forgot to say that there can't be many ferries shorter than the
hand-wound chain ferry to Trowlock Island in Hampton Wick.
https://youtu.be/D72EDEcKStM?t=50s
Old December 5th 16, 09:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar...service-114474

And the opportunity is now over:
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...ge-free-ferry/

Old December 5th 16, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message
Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar...service-114474

And the opportunity is now over:
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...ge-free-ferry/

so what's the explanation for it not happening on other weekends

tim

Old December 5th 16, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 11:21:55 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

"Recliner" wrote in message
Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar...service-114474

And the opportunity is now over:
https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...ge-free-ferry/

so what's the explanation for it not happening on other weekends

Dunno. Maybe they didn't have to lift the bridge on those days after
all?
Old December 5th 16, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Whenever ferries are mentioned I think of the greatest of them all, the Pill ferry. Immortalised by the Wurzels thuslywise :

When the nights are dark and stormy
And the bitter north wind blows
Cross the fields from Shirehampton
Where the muddy Avon flows
Where the Pillites gaily ride
Over on the ferry from the other side
The boat starts swingin, you'll hear them singin'
Float in on the tide!

Chorus: Pill, Pill, I love thee still
Even though I'm leaving
Pill, Pill, I love thee still
When the ferry boat starts heavin
When the rain down pours, the thunder roars
The lightnin flashes bright
I'll be better by far in The Duke or The Star
Than on the Old Pill Ferry tonight

Take me where it's warm and cosy
Down there with those happy boys
Where the cheeks are red and rosy
Cobblers, hobblers, hobbledehoys
When the stinging winter sleet
Creeps along the riverside and chills your feet
For miles around, you'll hear this sound
Comin' down Pill Street

Chorus

On the seven seas I've wandered
Back to Pill I shall return
When the hard earned cash is squandered
For the local girls I yearn
Captain, Captain, carry me
Steamer of the channel past Portbury
Head her south through Avonmouth
Happy I shall be.
Old December 6th 16, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016 01:13:33 +0000
Basil Jet wrote:

https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/calendar...service-114474

Very gay of you.