Old January 16th 17, 02:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bank Junction

How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never heard the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it up. I had never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with the caption, "Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961." Small j there, of course.

And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if it was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets converge. Wren! Get a grip!

Old January 17th 17, 08:02 AM
Senior Member

Location: Leyton, East London

Taxi drivers call it Bank Junction. Most Londoners simply
say "Bank," omitting the definite article.
Old January 17th 17, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Offramp" wrote

How long has Bank Junction been called Bank Junction? I had never heard
the phrase until a few days before the taxi drivers' clagged it up. I had
never heard the phrase, but wikipedia has a picture with the caption,
"Bank junction pictured on a Sunday in April 1961." Small j there, of
course.

And was that Junction the great Wren's idea? Not one of his best if it
was. A tiny little area where no less than 9 major streets converge. Wren!
Get a grip!

Wren died 1723 and the Bank of England moved there (with extensive road
changes following) in 1734 so perhaps not.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/about...uildings.aspx#

Sir John Soane extended the Bank's site until it had doubled in size to 3.5
acres. He eventually enclosed it with a windowless wall in 1828.

--
Mike D

Box Signal Box and Junction Road Junction Basil Jet London Transport 0 August 6th 09 01:14 AM
Bank bodies webmaster London Transport 6 August 30th 04 11:39 AM
Oyster at Bank Matthew London Transport 26 July 17th 04 07:33 PM
Morden via the Bank Clive D. W. Feather London Transport 5 January 13th 04 04:30 PM
Getting from Finchley to Bank with no Northern Line Andy Coleman London Transport 5 October 23rd 03 07:43 PM